+46 31 700 11 70
A family-owned historical hotel in the heart of Gothenburg
The oldest hotel in Gothenburg! Discover the historic charm at Hotel Royal.
Located in central Gothenburg, on Drottinggatan-Östra Larmgatan, you will find Hotel Royal – a historical, family-owned hotel. We’ve been serving guests since 1852, making Hotel Royal the oldest hotel in Gothenburg.
Here you get a pleasant hotel stay with the feeling of history wing beat, always with our dedicated staff close at hand.
Whether you’re looking for a charming room for a romantic weekend, a quiet place to sleep for a business trip or a fresh hotel in the center, at Hotel Royal we make sure you feel reworked and seen.
Step into the entrance and experience the interior details preserved from the end of the 19th century: the hand-painted glass ceiling, the beautifully patterned stone floor and the staircase with the hand-forged Art Nouveau railing. The oldest hotel in Gothenburg.
Check in to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked fika bread, enjoy a good night’s sleep in one of our uniquely decorated rooms and partake of a wonderfully prepared breakfast in a quiet environment.
We believe in
Hotel Royal has always been an independent and family-owned hotel, and we strive to always continue to be. This gives us the opportunity to welcome each guest individually and show that it still is possible to practice attentive and personal service. Our ambition is to make every guest feel welcomed while staying with us, which is why we keep what is genuine, real and personal close to our hearts.
The oldest hotel in Gothenburg
Hotel royal is the oldest hotel in Gothenburg, dating back almost two centuries. The first cornerstone of the stone building was laid in 1850 and two years later Sundbecks Nya Hotel För Resande (Sundbeck’s New Hotel for Travelers), which eventually changed its name to Hotel Royal, opened up. In 1980, the Oddestad family took over the hotel and it has been managed by two generations since. We take great pride in conserving the hotels historical atmosphere and have through careful restoration been able to preserve the patterned stone floors, the beautiful ceiling paintings, the stuccos, the high baseboards, the parquet and the Art Nouveau staircase with hand-forged banisters.
We have collected anecdotes and guest stories from Hotel Royal’s history, what is current at the hotel as well as tips about attractions and donut places around the city under History.
Of course, Hotel Royal also offers modern facilities. With us you will find:
- 76 rooms in different designs, all uniquely furnished with AirCondition in each room.
- Parking is available in the City car park opposite the hotel. The hotel does not have its own parking spaces, parking is subject to availability.
Your license plate is read when you enter and payment is made when you leave, daily price SEK 280.
- Collaboration with Hagabadet Spa&Gym where you can buy a voucher through us. Entrance to the Spa Mon-Thurs costs 325/pp. Entrance to Spa Fri-Sun costs 625/pp. Entrance to the gym costs SEK 125/pp all days of the week.
- Breakfast buffet with i.a. homemade muesli and scrambled eggs on real eggs. Breakfast is open Mon-Fri 06.30-10.00 and Sat-Sun 07.30-10.30
- The reception is staffed around the clock
- Own laundry room
- Multilingual personal
- Pay securely with Mastercard, Visa, Amex, ApplePay, or swish (number 123 552 29 09) Valid ID document required. We do not accept cash.
411 07 Gothenburg
+46 31 700 11 70